|Men Who Hate Women & Women Who Love Them: When Loving Hurts and You Don’t Know Why||Susan Forward and Joan Torres||Bantam Books||1986|
Is this the way love is supposed to feel?
• Does the man you love assume the right to control how you live and behave?
• Have you given up important activities or people to keep him happy?
• Is he extremely jealous and possessive?
• Does he switch from charm to anger without warning?
• Does he belittle your opinions, your feelings, or your accomplishments?
• Does he withdraw love, money, approval, or sex to punish you?
• Does he blame you for everything that goes wrong in the relationship?
• Do you find yourself “walking on eggs” and apologizing all the time?
If the questions here reveal a familiar pattern, you may be in love with a misogynist — a man who loves you, yet causes you tremendous pain because he acts as if he hates you.
In this superb self-help guide, Dr. Susan Forward draws on case histories and the voices of men and women trapped in these negative relationships to help you understand your man’s destructive pattern and the part you play in it.
She shows how to break the pattern, heal the hurt, regain your self-respect, and either rebuild your relationship or find the courage to love a truly loving man.
Speaking for the female side, Susan Forward, the author, with Joan Torres, of Men Who Hate Women & the Women Who Love Them, reports that when she went on a television talk show to describe abusive husbands who suffer from what she sees as the prevalent psychological disorder of misogyny, the network reported “one of the most overwhelming phone-call responses that they’d ever had.”Sex Wars: Not The Fun Kind / Sandra M. Gilbert and Susan Gubar / New York Times December 27, 1987, Section 7, Page 1 / https://www.nytimes.com/1987/12/27/books/sex-wars-not-the-fun-kind.html
Table of Contents
1. A Personal Introduction
2. Men Who Hate Women
3. The Most Romantic Man in the World
4. The End of the Honeymoon
5. How He Gains Control – Weapons
6. Where He Gains Control – Arenas
7. What Keeps Women Hooked?
8. How Men Learn to Hate Women
9. How Women Learn to Love Women-Haters
10. Madness for Two
11. The Women Who Love Them
12. How are You Feeling?
13. Preparing for Change
14. Healing the Past
15. Taking Charge of Your Anger
16. Setting Limits With Your Partner
17. Getting Professional Help
18. Knowing When to Leave
19. Finding Yourself Again